In WorkLink 2.12.68, we updated the Nudge feature (available only for HoloLens 2) with the following:
1) Menu improvements that break out the different axes, and allow for more precise adjustments and changes to scale.
2) Gizmo improvements that will match the coloration of the different axes in the menu. Direct manipulation of the hologram should be much easier and more intuitive as a result.
The following details how to use the new Nudge Menu & Gizmo (WorkLink v2.12.68)
The new menu should be more intuitive and empower you to make more precise adjustments to the placement of holograms in scenarios.
- To adjust the rotation around or position along a particular axis, first select either the X, Y, or Z icon at the top of the menu. X is always selected by default.
- To set the amount to rotate in degrees, select Rotate Amount and enter a value. 0.1 degree is the default value.
- To set the amount to move, select Move Amount and enter a value 0.1 cm is the default value. You can also toggle between moving in cm, or inches.
- To rotate clockwise around the axis by the rotate amount set, press the Rotate Plus icon. To rotate counterclockwise, press the Rotate Minus icon.
- To adjust the position along the axis in the positive direction, press the Position Plus icon. To move in the negative direction, press the Position Minus icon.
- If you know exactly how much you want to rotate or adjust the position, you can directly enter the value in the Rotate and Position number fields.
- Tapping on the small x icon within either Rotate or Position number fields will reset the values to its default based on where the hologram was last placed.
Alternatively, you can also use the 3D gizmo that is projected around the pivot point of the hologram to make freehand adjustments using near or far interactions with your primary hand.
- To rotate around any axis, grab any of the circles representing the axis desired and then move in the direction desired.
- To adjust the position along any axis, grab any of the three arrows representing the axis desired and then move in the direction desired.
- To adjust the scale, grab the yellow square centered around the pivot point, and move your hand away from the hologram to scale up and towards the hologram to scale down.
You can increase or decrease the scale of the hologram in either small increments of 0.25%, or directly enter the value in the Scale number field.
Further, the new menu allows users in the app to either make precise adjustments to the location of the hologram based on three different pivot points:
- The original pivot point exported from the CAD model (the default selection)
- The geometric center of the hologram
- The pivot of the AR tracker
Undo, Redo, Reset All
- To undo or redo the last adjustment made, select the Undo, or Redo buttons (shown with a Left or Right Arrow icon) in the bottom-right.
- Selecting Reset All will clear ALL adjustments made since the nudge menu was opened.
- It is not currently possible to undo, redo, or reset all after closing the nudge menu and re-opening it later during the session.
With the new user interface for the Nudge Menu, there are new voice commands that allow you to interact with it hands-free.
- Select X/Y/Z Axis: “Select X”
- Select rotation input field: “Select rotation”
- Select position input field: “Select position”
- Increase/decrease rotation/position: “Increase/Decrease Rotation”, “increase/Decrease Move”
- Select scale input field: “Select scale”
- Increase/Decrease scale:”Increase/Decrease scale”
- Resets the scale to 100%: “Reset Scale”
- Undo: “Undo Nudge”
- Redo: “Redo Nudge”
- Reset rotation/position to default for all axes: “Reset position”, “reset rotation”
- Reset X/Y/Z position/rotation for a particular axis: “Reset X axis position”, “Reset Y axis rotation”
- Reset all adjustments back to default values: “Reset All”
- Change pivot to Center, Original, or AR Tracker: “Pivot Center”, “Pivot Original”, “Pivot AR Tracker”
- Undoing adjustments or resetting back to default are not possible after closing the nudge menu. Simply replace content to reset to the default tracker settings.
- In certain cases, using the gizmo can be challenging depending on the scale of the hologram relative to the gizmo and the position of the end-user relative to the hologram. The end-user will need to move around sometimes to be at a distance or angle that is more conducive to using the gizmo:
- The scaling cube in the gizmo can obstruct the hologram if it is not much larger than the gizmo itself.
- The axes for translation in the gizmo can be blocked by the rotation components which makes it harder to grab with far interaction controls.